Book Review?: Team Topologies

on Monday, December 30, 2019

Matthew Skelton created a blog post/website describing team topologies a few years ago, and with the help of others has created a book from it (Amazon, Audible).

The book breaks down the teams into 4 architypes (supplemental materials at itrevolution.com):

  • Stream Aligned Team
  • Enabling Team
  • Complex Subsystem Team
  • Platform Team

And 3 Interaction Modes:

  • Collaboration
  • X-as-a-Service
  • Facilitating

The book will help describe the team types and what their usage patterns are.

I ran across the website which shows the Anti-Patterns and Patterns of Team Topologies about a year ago. I was trying to answer questions from coworkers about “What should our teams look like if we do DevOps”, and the website left me with a lot of guess work into the details of each of the patterns. I don’t think the original intent of the website was to be confusing, but it explored an area that I wanted to know more about so it left me with more questions than answers. And, this book didn’t seem to directly answer those questions.

It seemed to expand on the original work with new ideas and new thoughtful constructs. The team architypes lined up well with what I had seen in my own work and also lined up well with my prior understanding of DevOps / Lean Project Management methodologies. All of which are well described in the books from itrevolution.com and other publishers. (This is not an advertisement, these books have well established and useful knowledge within them.)

For the most part, the Stream Aligned Teams make a lot of sense to me because I have seen working example of them. At work, we have multiple teams which sit within distinct departments and work on the applications/projects/products for those departments.

However, the Enabling and Platform teams seemed like they could be much more intertwined than what the book described. I personally feel like I work within a platform team, but the platforms that I help provide are only useful if (1) they are developed in collaboration with a Stream Aligned Team and (2) the platform product in demonstrated/shared/knowledge-transferred to all Stream Aligned Teams. To me, #2 seems like the function of an Enabling Team. So, it feels like a company that wants to establish a permanent Enabling team would need to contain members that were in constant rotation with the Platform teams in order to:

  • Keep Enabling Team members up to date on the latest utilities developed by the Platform teams
  • Keep the Enabling Team members skills sharp on implementation details of the Platform team products
  • Allow for Enabling Team members to develop new functionality into the Platform without having to cross a communication/trust boundary (fighting Conway’s Law)

I think that the Enabling and Platform teams might have been separated in the book due to the need for the Enabling team members to have a higher degree of interpersonal communication and collaborative skills. To be very blunt, the Silicon Valley architypes of system administrators didn’t come out of thin air (1, 2) and Platform teams would need good System Administrators.

So, maybe it’s the more evangelist personality types of the Platform Teams that can rotate into the Enabling Teams.

The only team type that I never fully connected with was the Complex Subsystem Team. I thought of some potential example projects which could fit the description. But the teams were adhoc and my example cases never felt quite right. Maybe I just don’t work someplace that has difficult enough problems to require such teams. The book is very clear that these teams are optional and would not be needed for all work environments.

In the end, I think the book adds to the overall body of literature on DevOps, and it can really help a group if they are scratching their heads about what sort of team structure could help improve their organizational structure.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Many complicated subsystem teams where I work or rather component teams that have made their subsystem require high cognitive load.
Not easy to 'simplify' as they are perfect examples of Conway Law in action !
Some other useful comments at https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/stream-align-me-brice-beard/

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License
This site uses Alex Gorbatchev's SyntaxHighlighter, and hosted by herdingcode.com's Jon Galloway.